In this photoshop for beginners article, we are going to cover a step by step tutorial on how to change your hair color in photoshop. This tutorial will be very useful for adding some coolness to either your photos or to pictures of others celebrities or stars to see just how they look with a different color!
1. Choose a image of your choice and open up in photoshop.
2. Create an adjustment layer by clicking on the “Create new fill or adjustment layer” Button, and choose “hue/saturation…” from the drop down menu.
3. A pop up window of hue/saturation will come up and we shift the saturation to “-100” and lightness to “+51”. This will turn the photo into faded black and white look.
4. We are now ready to mask out the hair from the base photo so that it is easier for you in terms of changing hair color in photoshop. Having the mask selected, we choose brush tool and start painting the hair area with black color using a soft edge brush. It’s important to keep the edge soft as this will make the hair look more natural when we change its color later.
5. With the hair painted, we go to Image>Adjustments>Invert or Control I. Notice the hair is now grey in color and the rest of the image is back to normal.
6. We are now ready to change the hair color. Double click this icon and the Hue/Saturation window will pop up.
7. By bring the saturation up and lightness down we are now able to bring the hair color tone back to normal. And by shifting the hue slider, we are able to change hair color as you like.
8. To touch up the edge details, we can use a soft edge brush to paint the over ran areas with black color.
9. Finally we go to Filter>Blur>Caussian Blur and give a value of “2.5” to further soften the mask’s edges. And this is the final result I have. I hope you will have fun with this little tutorial!